Monday, July 9, 2007

"Cowboy... I'm The New Marshall In Town!" By: Jeff Frazer






Hole # 15

Cowboys Golf Club

Grapevine, Texas

(817) 481-7277

Par 4, 368 Yards


You know that you're in a different league when at the Cowboy Club you are met at your car by an attendant who takes your clubs to your cart for you. I then went into the club house to change into shorts (because I did not meet their dress requirements) and found the Men's Locker Room. I changed clothes in front of the locker belong to former Cowboy great Jay Novacek.


We had about 30 minutes prior to our tee time so Robert & I had a chance to warm up our putters on the practice green. (This is NOT in somebody's front yard). At then we were off...


This whole experience reminded me of the panic I felt the first time I skied down a "Black Diamond". If there are "Black Diamonds" in golf, the Cowboys Golf Club certainly is one. When we got to the first tee, we were met by the course "Marshall". He explained the rules of the course and suggested that we play from the "Blue" tees (easiest). You should have seen the expression on his face when Robert explained that I was just a novice golfer. The best word to describe his reaction was...PITY!!! Robert was once again demo-ed a SUMO "Square" driver. We took turns using it on the first tee. I hit it pretty good but short. It landed on an extreme up-slope. I started a policy that after a bad shot I would pick up my ball and placed it with Robert's ball. That worked pretty well. Let's just say that I did a lot of picking up my ball.


My best hole was the Par 4 fourth hole that has the Dallas Cowboy Star in the middle of the fairway. My drive went straight and rested next to the star. I blew my second shot but did reach the green in three. I three putted for a six. I'll take that everyday at this course.


Robert's "record hole" at the Cowboy Club was the par 4 11th hole. With a distance of 368 Yards. He had a good drive which landed in the right rough. He chose to use my 3-wood for his second shot and he hit it about 180 yards. It landed in a green-side bunker. Robert negotiated the long bunker shot that landed on the back edge of the green. He then made the "Shot-Of-The-Day"--a long 20 foot putt for par. On this course, that par felt like an eagle on most other courses. Call ESPN - This hole should make their High-Light show.


The Dallas Cowboys Golf Club has consistently been ranked in the "Top 10 You Can Play In America" by Golf Magazine. The club is award winning, but it is not for the faint of heart. Bring your best game (and a pocket full of money)-- they will have the "Marshall" watching.

No comments: